Details on Rebellion II Coding and TODO

Coordinator
Aug 28, 2009 at 10:54 AM
Edited Apr 16, 2010 at 8:16 AM

TO DO LIST:

Class Creation

Team, Mission, Message, and Event Classes all need to be done. Not 100% sure how to go about this so ideas if helpful

Universe needs to be redone as well as each System will have a couple of flight paths between other systems rather than the jump anywhere approach of previous rebellion

GameUnits

Update all GameUnit classes to include the team variable, construction points variable(for working out build times while still being able to add further construction facilities during build). 

RebSystem Class

Add idle bool for each factory type and when it becomes idle, create a new message

Buildfacilities command which is allowed to take no input and build it at the current planet or can accept another friendly destination.

Buildtroops command that can accept no input and add it to the current planet, a fleet or a capital ship so long as it fits within the bounds 

Buildcapships command that can accept no input and add it to the current planet as a new fleet, or another planets new fleet

Buildfighters command that can accept no input and add it to the current planets fighter defence, or another friendly planets fighter defence, or a fleet or a capship

MainMenuScreen Changes

Change menu to read Single Player, Multiplayer , Options, Exit Game. A minimenu will then be shown to give option to either start a new game or load one. New game will bring up an options screen that will allow you to choose your side, starting research level, starting credits, strength of independants, AI difficulty, scenario. Load game will find one of the saved games and deserialize it into the game universe.

Multiplayer will have a mini menu saying Create Game and Join Game. Create Game will have same screen as Single Player options with a chat box. Join game will bring up a small text box and then you can enter an IP and attempt a connection. If connection established, then it will bring up the menu screen but no options will be changable. I assume MP will be added late in development so time for revisment later on :P

PauseScreen Changes

Add a Save Game option that will serialize all information about the universe.

Engine Changes

Try and establish Hardware Instancing to save on FPS. My earlier attempt failed(twice) so need help on this one.

Finish off NetworkManager.

Game Tools

Create an easy to use Game Editor. Want to be able to edit the XML files without manual work. Want to be able to create a universe scenario with button clicks rather than by hand. Attempted to make one and got a fair way through but I found I couldnt read a list into the listbox in C# so if anyone knows on how to do this that would be great.

GUI

A whole slew of stuff to work on here. Using the Neoforce Controls, they have to be made to be able to create multiple windows of the sametype so you can move items between. Need to create each window to look similar the original rebellion. With the minor changes I have made such as having a queue on each build, having fighter built seperately to capships.

I was thinking about the way the map will be and decided to go back to 3D on a 2D plane. On hover over a planet should bring up the menu for different units. Need really good ideas on this because Im not 100% on how i want to go about this yet either

ON DESIGN AND ARTWORK

Yes i know at some stage I will have to start work on this. However I would like to get most of the other stuff sorted so I can know exactly how big and sizes of artwork neccessary. Story will also need to be worked on by some people. Once again not my strong suit so offers of help are awesome :)

I do intend on creating some videos similar to the original rebellion but of much higher quality. Help on these would be greatly appreciated and I will release two versions ( 1 with and 1 without the videos) to save those with download quotas from destroying it :)

Aug 30, 2009 at 1:37 AM

Still having problems with my system and installation of Visual C# Express, so cant seem to run the "RebellionIIApplication" file, due to requiring the XNA Pipeline to be installed in Global Assembly Cache. After a little googling, I think this might be due to references to the pipeline in the game code, as apposed to just the build code? Not that I have any idea how to fix that, or even if it is necessary given the pre-release state of the code.

Can get working on the artwork if needed though? Although your observances on knowing required sizes and stuff are obviously important :s Do you know which characters you plan to use? Would I already have a list if I could get the game opening past "start game"? The resolutions change well anyway :)

Are you going to use an encyclopedia with character, planet, mission etc entries like the original Rebellion? And if so will you be using 2D pictures or wanting 3D models?

Sorry for the probably pointless post asking questions no doubt obvious to anyone who can read and work installation files :P

Coordinator
Aug 30, 2009 at 2:34 AM
chrisb2244 wrote:

Still having problems with my system and installation of Visual C# Express, so cant seem to run the "RebellionIIApplication" file, due to requiring the XNA Pipeline to be installed in Global Assembly Cache. After a little googling, I think this might be due to references to the pipeline in the game code, as apposed to just the build code? Not that I have any idea how to fix that, or even if it is necessary given the pre-release state of the code.

Can get working on the artwork if needed though? Although your observances on knowing required sizes and stuff are obviously important :s Do you know which characters you plan to use? Would I already have a list if I could get the game opening past "start game"? The resolutions change well anyway :)

Are you going to use an encyclopedia with character, planet, mission etc entries like the original Rebellion? And if so will you be using 2D pictures or wanting 3D models?

I reuploaded a new binary so please try that and tell me if it works.

No content has really been created yet anyway. That is one area where I could use some help. I was thinking about just leaving the initial settings as post-ANH like Reb1 was and maybe down the track could have workd on a post-ROTJ or pre-ANH. Basically I still need to get all these sort of details of ships and characters so you could tabulate that sort of data. 

Characters will need : Name, Combat Rating, Espionage Rating, Sabotage Rating, Initial Force Rating, is Force Capable, Can be Admiral/General/Commander. 

FIghters will need : Name, Shields, Attack Lasers, Attack Ion. Attack Proton, Hyperdrive Capable, Cost, Upkeep

Troops will need : Name, Attack,  Defence. Bombardment Defence, Cost, Upkeep

CapShips will need: Name, Shields, Attack Lasers, Attack Ion. Attack Turbolasers, Speed, Cost, Upkeep, Fighter Capacity, Troop Capacity

Facilities will need: Name, Type(Shipyard, Defence, Troop, Fac Construction, Mine), Cost, Upkeep.

Each of these will need a small PNG/JPG similar to what reb1 had to show off as a 2D representation. Obviusly Ships/Fighters will need 3D models at some stage but I wasn't keen on starting the full 3D battle simulation till I had the rest of it working well.

I still am in need of a new keyboard because the bottom row of keys doesnt work which makes it incredibly hard to code with. As soon as i get this replaced i can start again in earnest.

Aug 30, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Characters will need : Name, Combat Rating, Espionage Rating, Sabotage Rating, Initial Force Rating, is Force Capable, Can be Admiral/General/Commander. 

FIghters will need : Name, Shields, Attack Lasers, Attack Ion. Attack Proton, Hyperdrive Capable, Cost, Upkeep

Troops will need : Name, Attack,  Defence. Bombardment Defence, Cost, Upkeep

CapShips will need: Name, Shields, Attack Lasers, Attack Ion. Attack Turbolasers, Speed, Cost, Upkeep, Fighter Capacity, Troop Capacity

Facilities will need: Name, Type(Shipyard, Defence, Troop, Fac Construction, Mine), Cost, Upkeep.

Diplomacy being replaced by Sabotage? Should I set initial force rating to 0 if is force capable = No?

Do you intend to include research as before?

Would you prefer imperial and reb ships/troops/characters storing in separate tables or included together but with a field for Imp/Reb

Will get working on the same characters and units as reb1 now, shout if you want any replacing or improving, nerfing, etc

Coordinator
Aug 30, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Sabotage should be diplomacy sorry.

Yes research will be like before.

Seperate tables because its more for information reasons as they will all have to be added to XML files for use

Aug 31, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Ok, finally found a use for the old installation of Python I have :)

Have downloaded blender, will get to work on the long tutorial I have found, this way I can create models useable for both backgrounds in 2D and the 3D simulations later :)

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Nice work. Seems your really interested in working on this. I should get a new kb this week someime so I can start work on this coding...

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Tie fighter with basic model made, still need to texture - will work on that once I understand the program slightly better, nearly finished X-Wing wings, working on the body now, is it possible to paste images to these discussions?

Hope the kb arrives soon :)

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:58 PM

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x301/chrisb2244/tiefighter1.png

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x301/chrisb2244/tiefighter2.png

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x301/chrisb2244/xwingopen.png

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x301/chrisb2244/xwing.png

:)

Coordinator
Sep 2, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Reinstalled vista today, got C# Express running now, so should be able to look at what for me is a load of mostly meaningless code :)

But at least I can pretend I'm helping :)

Coordinator
Sep 5, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Hey mate,

If you wanna get your head around the coding read through the XNA help book. Has lots of great info. Also the Roecode site would help explain how the engine works. If you want, feel free to add me to some chat program(msn/xfire) and I could talk you through or explain bits you need help with.

- sTeeL

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:23 AM

ok, will do :)

jaw drops... someone spent a lot of time modelling these... http://www.fractalsponge.net/gallery.htm

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2009 at 6:52 AM

Yer they are incredible. Wish I could model like that

I have started working on the code again albiet with using the dodgy keyboard so I have to use the on screen one to fill in my broken keys. Really annoying but getting stuff working at least. I tried to make the universe load from XML and although I got it to load there is a difference in that it doesnt seem to load the information correctly and therefore displays all the models at the origin. Annoying to say the least.

I put it back to normal for now and kept working on the other code.

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2009 at 7:14 AM

Fixed the loading Systems through XML. Turns out it wasnt calling the LoadContent method after creating the objects so i did it manually. No idea why but I assume its something to do with the serialization. LAME :P

Uploaded new code to the SVN and moving on

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2009 at 9:36 AM

After loading through XML Ive had a think about how to setup the universe and moved fair few things about of the gameplayscreen class and into both the team and universe classes. Looks much better now

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Hey Chris,

Are you accessing the code via the SVN or the downloaded Source Code under downloads?

Your best option is to use the SVN. Download TortoiseSVN and connect using the instructions provided by codeplex. That's only if you want to code and I think it may be a bit early for that.

The source code tab of this project has the latest updates of the source code. I will really only update the download version of source code when the latest binary is ready for release. And since 90% of the work I have done is behind the scenes I don't see a point in releasing a new one just yet.

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Hi,

Sorry, had a power cut on Sunday and has taken me a while to sort out the internet connection again. Currently not quite right but can at least connect again now :)

Was trying to work on the gui.png that is in the source code but have had limited success, will keep trying :) Managed to load the game now though and can run it from C# Express, although still havnt managed to read through the tutorials and so learn what changing things does :)

Congrats on getting the XML loading working, will download TortoiseSVN and connect using that, and then will be able to follow along with appropriate oooohs and aaaahs :)

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2009 at 2:19 PM

No problems mate. Will take a while to get used to programming anyway so your probably better off on the art side of things anyway.

Ill probably have another good crack at coding tomorrow after ive done some uni study ;)

Coordinator
Sep 11, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Just so you know that alt bak is killer big. Try and keep em under 200k each for now. Keep high res bakups though

Coordinator
Sep 11, 2009 at 4:47 PM

i also know why it wasnt loading for you and it is because of the way i was loading XML it required teh full XNA install rather than the redistribution version. I will work out a fix and then let you know when its normal again

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:50 PM

ok, sorry for the uploads, will do.

as to the full xna, I have it all installed now so working fine, but I think a fix is probably still necessary as including XNA as a pre-req for the game may be less than useful for those not intending to use tools to edit it?

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2009 at 3:26 AM

Yep forgot to mention i was already working on a fix :p

Coordinator
Sep 16, 2009 at 2:02 PM

I wont be updating the SVN for a bit because the changes i have done prevent loading until i change and update the XML files and i may as well do the way those files load at the same time so there is a bit of work todo before i throw it up. its still being worked on though

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Ok, good luck with that :)

Il redownload the previous version as like you say the application cannot load without a now missing file :)

Hope its all going well

Oct 8, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Hope its all still going well for you, wanted to say my graphics card seems to be totally fried, so no games, rendering or art at a decent speed :(

Have been troubleshooting it for just over a week, pretty much given up now, will be ordering a new one soon tho, so shud be able to get going again soon :)

Coordinator
Oct 21, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Hey mate,

Ive been a bit behind in my work on Reb for a while due to my new job making me work crazy amount of hours + an a whole heap of sporting commitments so I havent even looekd at the code in about a month. Hoping to do a big 3 -4 hour session tonight and some long time on the weekend when I have some free time to make up for it :)

Hope all is going well with your pc

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:08 AM

Hey guys,

I uploaded 2 classes in the project. Message and Mission. Yeah petty stuff lol, but it's late...I just felt like coding something quick. BTW, there is a shorthand in c# for properties. if you have no conditionals all you do is:

public <datatype>PropertyName { get; set; }

all in one line instead of having so many lines. So you don't need a private variable either. Of course that only works for properties that have getters AND setters. Just a thought, I saw that in some of the classes I viewed. So I see there are other things to do. I am kinda new to this xana programming stuff. I got an ebook that showed me some basic stuff. I'd really like to help out with AI or just any logic, and hey I wouldn't mind working with the GUI too, I just don't know a whole lot about it, but I am a quick learner.

Well hope to hear from you guys, you can email if you'd like.

Coordinator
Oct 23, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Hey mate,

Its nice to see some more interest in the project from elsewhere. Thanks for the tip.

I'm not the flashiest programmer in the world as you may see but I'm pretty much 100% self taught for C#/XNA. Ive done some C++/C at university so not completely new.

Do you have any interest in the original?

Ive been really quiet as of late due to a new full time job but I got three days in a row off soon where I hope to jump right in. It would be nice to have anotehr coder to get ideas and help from.

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Hey dude,

I am not 100% proficient in any one language, that's why we got the API's :-) that's just one of my favorite shortcuts on C#...you can also hit double tab on VS for certain key words like if, else, try and it generates the braces for you :-)

I am interested in this. I am so bored this semester in college because all I have is database classes which are so easy. I was trying to help out with the star trek birth of the empires, but idk if it's because they are using vs2005, and me vs2008, or because I am now using win7 64 bit...there are so many compilation errors...grrr, got sick of it....and here I found this project which is still fairly new, but I'm glad at least I was able to compile lol.

I loved the original. In fact, I was upset I was unable to install it on Vista, I would have to install it in a vm. I'd like to do what I can programming wise. I would not be able to contribute much to the graphics because I am no pro at that haha, I just do a little web design with adobe CS3, but not at the scale of making those images you guys made. Nice :-)

I am busy with school, but I can make some time every week when I can. I must say that making games with xana C# is much easier than c++ allegro. I had to do a game for my advanced c++ class and wow...pointers flying all over the place haha, but in the end I got most of it done and I got an A on that woohoo, so this should be a snapshot :-)

Coordinator
Oct 23, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Yer I understand heaps about boring uni/college classes. Yer im running windows 7 64 as well so no original for me and it barely works in the Windows VM that I run. Graphics isnt the bit im really stuck on at the moment as I just want all the backend working how it should and really needed some ideas about how I should go about implementing certain things like how I want teams to work and how to move fleets between planets and what not

Part of the massive appeal of XNA and C# was the ease of coding and lack of pointers. Ive done uni level C/OpenGL coding and that was a bit of a bastard but yer this should be a lot easier. If I can find the time to work on it :)

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Hey! Are we alive still?

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Hey! Looks pretty dead I would think, but I'm still here if it turns out that there is someone coding? 

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:27 AM
So am I. What needs to be coded?

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 4:44 PM, chrisb2244 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hey! Looks pretty dead I would think, but I'm still here if it turns out that there is someone coding? 

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (reb2@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email reb2@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Not a clue. If Steel comes back to the project and still has the work he did then I think there's a decent framework, albeit last I saw without much in the way of playable content. This could have changed though? *crosses fingers* I on the other hand have managed to lose the models I had previously produced due to rebuilding my pc but having already made a couple of very basic models before I think I could probably get something back together fairly quickly. Mainly I guess its a project without basis atm tho. 

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2010 at 2:26 AM
Sorry I havent posted on here in a while guys. I actually re-wrote the framework again because I didnt want people having to install the full XNA 3.1 SDK to play. Which was the problem we were having before chris. I didnt upload on here because I didnt see any interest from anyone and thought you had all gone away. I ended up getting a job ontop of uni and ran out of time to work on it the last couple of months but what I will do is upload the latest on to here once I have had a look through it all and see what you think. At the moment I was mostly just using placeholder graphics so there was no rush on the latest code. are you a coder psqk? If so, ill work something out that you can work on with me because tbh, i have been waiting a long time and asked several times to try and get another coder on board. I dont have access to my project just yet but I will tonight so ill probably get back in contact with you then. msn is best a_w_mijatovic@hotmail.com
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2010 at 2:45 AM
Its been about 2 months or so since I saw what I was working on (bloody life!! lol) but playable content was probably a little less with my rebuild since I decided to go swap back to Rebellions frame view rather than 3D for everything. Last I remembered I was going to start work on a content editor so I could start making objects and things and if you like pqsk, Ill probably get you to make and use that. That way we start to see some actual content. Will mean filling out lots of data and the like but will be worth it to start seeing some actual use from the program. I actually need a little input on how I should go about moving/creating fleets and the like. I believe what I was working on was the UI's for all the different options so by the time that those two things are done, we could be getting somewhere. Anyway, good to see you guys are still around -Steel
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Bah.... Only formatted last week and realised I deleted my new copy rather than the old one. That really sucks alot. But seeing as your both still around what I will do is restart again and get the framework back up and going. 5th time around and it should be bloody quick ;)

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:32 PM

:( Well, I'll get back to work on my X-Wing I guess, just downloaded and installed VS2010 so once I manage to open the files again I'll be able to build the project and see whats happening with the old version, although I look forwards to new developments :) 

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Thank fuck I do most of my design work by handwritten songs, because I found all those so hopefully wont take long to catch back up. maybe a week or two. Itll be a much more solid base. 

I need ideas on exactly what we wanna change from Reb1 so I can think about those as im coding the base engine and basic details. 

So far the only big changes are:

Troop/Ship Experience

Ability to play multiple factions, and have more than 1v1, thinking about maybe either keeping 1v1 with small system-states which you can influence to help you out.

Heroes

More Jedi interactions with creating facilities and better training

3D planets like Sins of a Solar Empire, with only certain points fleets can move between. The idea being that there is some choke points that your going to have to get through.

Not sure what else i was working on but i gleaned that from my notes

Coordinator
Apr 15, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Probably wouldnt bother with the old version mate because its bonkers lol ;)

But im going nuts at it probably logged about 5-6 hours since the re-write and got a fair chunk of the engine going again. Added a sound manager(nearly done), music manager(similar to sound so easy), and networking manager(probably later on) to the framework. Ill start commenting stuff to make it easier for the other guys to code and ill hopefully get around to writing out a flow chart of how it goes through everything. 

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:29 PM

sounds like you're really getting somewhere :) Noticed you had on the old design sheet AI as an extra-type feature, is this because of the difficulty in writing one? Will the program initially be Player v Player based online/lan? Look forwards to the first of a new collection of source codes anyway :)

Coordinator
Apr 15, 2010 at 5:15 PM

AI is listed as extra mostly because I want the game to be PvP online mostly. I will add AI eventually, i did a course on AI programming but being mostly theory its hard to apply for myself at the moment. Once alot of the other stuff is up and going it will definately be added in. I finished the music/sound off tonight and had a look at networking. Since XNA networking requires a person to have a Creators Club Account which costs a person $100US, I am going to have to go a different route and use the lidgren library for networking which requires more study ;)

The idea hopefully will be that I will implement a lobby system similar to most current RTS's so people can jump on and see if anyone wants a game without havin to know the person or contact a forum member beforehand. I don't expect this to be a huge game of players so should be easy to find someone to host the server software for me. 

Im busy for tomorrow all day and Saturday as well so I will hopefully get some more done saturday night. 

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:00 PM
Sounds good. So we will be using vs2010 pro? And xna 1.0? I am ready to
code c#. :-)
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:15, steel wrote:
> From: steel
>
> AI is listed as extra mostly because I want the game to be PvP online
> mostly. I will add AI eventually, i did a course on AI programming but
> being mostly theory its hard to apply for myself at the moment. Once
> alot of the other stuff is up and going it will definately be added in.
> I finished the music/sound off tonight and had a look at networking.
> Since XNA networking requires a person to have a Creators Club Account
> which costs a person $100US, I am going to have to go a different route
> and use the lidgren library for networking which requires more study ;)
>
> The idea hopefully will be that I will implement a lobby system similar
> to most current RTS's so people can jump on and see if anyone wants a
> game without havin to know the person or contact a forum member
> beforehand. I don't expect this to be a huge game of players so should
> be easy to find someone to host the server software for me. 
>
> Im busy for tomorrow all day and Saturday as well so I will hopefully
> get some more done saturday night. 
>
> Read the full discussion online.
>
> To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email
> ([email removed])
>
> To start a new discussion for this project, email
> [email removed]
>
> You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion
> on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on
> codePlex.com.
>
> Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any
> posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com
Pablo Arista - http//www.pabloarista.com
Coordinator
Apr 15, 2010 at 6:29 PM

I am have VS 2008 Pro coding in XNA3.1

Ill upload sometime tomorrow the new codebase and try and give you something to work on pqsk

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:20 PM

VS2010 Pro, XNA Creators club membership... is there anything you can't get free as a student? :)

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:31 PM
Haha true, but steel did say he is using vs2008 pro. Do you not have
access to vs2010 pro steel? If that's the case, shouldn't we stay in the
same ide?
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 17:20, chrisb2244 wrote:
> From: chrisb2244
>
> VS2010 Pro, XNA Creators club membership... is there anything you can't
> get free as a student? :)
>
> Read the full discussion online.
>
> To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email
> ([email removed])
>
> To start a new discussion for this project, email
> [email removed]
>
> You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion
> on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on
> codePlex.com.
>
> Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any
> posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com
Coordinator
Apr 16, 2010 at 12:15 AM

I got VS2008pro free through my uni and im in no hurry to upgrade so yer its probably best to stick with that. however shouldnt cause too many problems if u use 2010.we dont require CC membership since we wont use the xna networking 

Coordinator
Apr 16, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Well i uploaded the code this morning. please bear in mind this is a step backwards due to the lost code. If you want pqsk, you could find out important variables for each of the gameunits and add them to the class. Like capital ships will require variables for turbolaserattack and ionattack and so on. Also if you could use a dictionary to store units for instance, add a dictionary for captialship to hold troops and fighters. A good starting place for all this information would be in the original RebEd or over on www.swrebellion.net they have heaps of this kind of info

Coordinator
Apr 16, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Im currently working on the NetworkManager getting used to how lidgren does things. Looks very easy to set up and when I get a bit more time up my sleeve I should finish it off before the end of the weekend. Engine is actually a fair bit better off than the last one as I made things more standard and easy to use. Ill try and update the TODO list to actually reflect what I need to do. :)

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Looking very good :) Compiled and runs without problems in vs2008 :) 

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:18 PM

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x301/chrisb2244/Reb2/?action=view&current=xwingv01.jpg

Where I'm currently at on the X-Wing, only model I have started. Looking for suggestions on the wings mainly, currently working on the body shape since its abhorrent... 

Apr 24, 2010 at 10:38 PM

hey, don't suppose either of you know what is supposed to be going on with the engines (?) on an X-Wing? There are clearly 4 large turbine-type structures, located on the front of the foils, but then the actual engines on the back do not seem to be attached, unsure how its all meant to fit together, and how it should be modelled. Essentially looking for advice on what on earth the two sections are (fairly certain from reading around it is the narrower tubes at the back which are thrusters, but the large cylinders are confusing me, particularly in why they are set lower and within a framework :S)

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:35 AM
I'm not sure on that one.
Apr 29, 2010 at 10:44 AM
Hey quick question...do I need to reinstall xna after installa vs2010,
since it's already on there? I install vs2010, but I don't see it. Do
you know?
Apr 29, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Erm, yes. But even after I installed xna gs, it seemed to only fix my vs2008 installation, and hasn't applied itself to vs2010. I think I may have read that we need to wait for GS4 to integrate with vs2010? rather than GS 3.1 or whichever the current (as I last checked) version is?

Coordinator
Apr 30, 2010 at 1:55 AM

Pretty sure that VS2010 will be integrated with GS4 on release. Going to have to use VS2008 until then. 

Coordinator
May 2, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Im all busy busy busy atm. Uni is like crazy. I should have some free time next weekend and possibly wed/thursday to work on this though

May 30, 2010 at 4:14 AM

hey I made some minor additions. Still working on it. Sorry, been off and on with school. Where I do upload what I got? I only saw for a patch, where I uploaded before.

Coordinator
May 30, 2010 at 4:44 AM

Yiou should have set up SVN to do it properly. Pretty sure there is a link on this site around which is like Using TortoiseSVN and how to set it up. Sorry I ahvent been around. Uni is hectic and exams this week and next. After thats finished I should be back and playing around iwth the code

May 30, 2010 at 5:07 AM
oh okay. Thanks. Understand about school. I get drowned sometimes too. good luck dude. I'll finish up some things here on my end.
May 30, 2010 at 5:55 AM

okay. Figured it out. I added the classes. Actually just got it from the old code that I added before. I think a few of those were yours too steel. I guess you lost that code? In any case it's there. Not much, but I'm going to continue with it.

Coordinator
May 30, 2010 at 6:57 AM

ITs appreciated pqsk. Ill have a look later tonight at your cahnges...

Coordinator
Jun 13, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Okay uni is over for the semester so i have two months of absoultly nothing... What Ill do is do a full design write up and get a heap of work done hopefully. Im doing some extra learning to get past some problems I previously had with the coding. 

Will let you know in a day or two and Ill start a new thread to get rid of all this old talk.

Coordinator
Jul 19, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Havent heard from either of you in a while but there have been some large advances in the work.

Map editor is up and running and Ill be finishing off the team editor in the next couple of days. Alot of the network stuff has been done and im very close to coding gameplay and visuals.

Coordinator
Jul 21, 2010 at 11:58 AM
Editor is now complete so if anyone wants a crack at setting up a universe and 4 teams be my guest ;)
Editor
Aug 10, 2010 at 11:22 PM
Any info on how the ship values will be arranged? For ex.; will it still be with the fore, aft, port, starboard weapon arcs for turbolasers, ion cannon, and laser cannon? Likewise, will sublight speed, bombardment values, etc also be given values comparably to how they were in SWR1?
Coordinator
Aug 12, 2010 at 3:42 PM
Things working well for you now mate???

- Aaron

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Aaron Mijatovic <mijatovic@iinet.net.au> wrote:
Here is the editor.

If you need anything added to the editor, or think we need some additions and/or changes, let me know and I will incorporate them.

Some quick instructions on it. You don't need to set each and every system to Empire/Rebellion/other teams. Leave at default as these will be added to the random list of planets. Only set the planets you want as definately empire/rebellion at the start of each match to that team.

Units which are added to team Default will be available for all teams to use.

The Idea behind Smugglers/Hutts teams is that they will be a form of mini-empire that can hinder or help either faction. These have to have their own assigned systems at the start as they are not part of the random equation.

I was thinking about adding set units/buildings at the beginning of each match however I might randomise that as well. Not 100% and your input will be valued. The editor is incomplete so do not expect all features to be there just yet.

You may need to install the redistributable here(Redistributable - 7MB) if it doesnt work off the bat.

You might also need the .NET 3.0 Redistributable (.NET Redist - 2MB). Sorry however I havent got around to testing on other PC's. Thanks Mate.

- Aaron

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 7:22 AM, flashghandi <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Any info on how the ship values will be arranged? For ex.; will it still be with the fore, aft, port, starboard weapon arcs for turbolasers, ion cannon, and laser cannon? Likewise, will sublight speed, bombardment values, etc also be given values comparably to how they were in SWR1?

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (reb2@discussions.codeplex.com)

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:44 AM

Firstly, I don't mean this to be an "It doesn't work! *cry* *sob*" post.

So I downloaded your latest code update, and it built fine.  Now this may be my screen resolution ( I'm on a wide screen resolution, 1366 x 768 to be exact ), but the opening window was shoved to the left and up ending up partly off the screen.  Far over enough so at the main menu I couldn't read the options.  Second, I don't know if you just haven't implemented it yet, but the yes/no message would not respond to the mouse click nor would the game setup screen.  Third, when the game setup screen is up, you did not disable the main menu from receiving input.  I clicked to choose the Alliance and ended up on Exit when I pressed enter -_-

Also as a side note, from what I see of a full ( or not so full ) C# program, the syntax is more different from C and C++ than I thought.  I can make some sense of some of it, but I have absolutely no sense of up or down sifting through that code.  I will continue to take looks at the code and see if I can find jump start guides to C#.

Also another side note, XNA 4.0 is out now ( full release, not beta anymore ).  I know you opted out of the 3.5 distro to go for the smaller 3.0, but with Windows 7 and DirectX 11 making more use of .NET 4.0 in Windows applications, maybe it isn't too late to port over to version 4?

Coordinator
Sep 17, 2010 at 7:34 AM
Hey,

With regards to the weird looks, try setting your res in the gamesettings file. I know about the main screen input thing. Just havent gotten around to fixing it. The game setup should work 100% if your res is right.

The syntax is pretty much C/C++.There is a lot of jumping around but thats mostly due to XNA. XNA will run the initialisations ->LoadContent -> a loop of update and draw. To see what the game does, you want to be looking in GamePlayScreen the update, and draw methods.

As for XNA 4.0, I havent looked at it, didnt even know it had gone to full release. I was udner the impression that it was mostly for WinPhone7 anyway but Ill have a look and check out the changes. The other one is that .NET4.0 is also a large redist so once again, I will have to weigh up pros and cons.

Sorry I didnt get home in time to chat, but itll be easier to go through the code when I can step you through it.

- Aaron

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 1:44 PM, JanDeis <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Firstly, I don't mean this to be an "It doesn't work! *cry* *sob*" post.

So I downloaded your latest code update, and it built fine.  Now this may be my screen resolution ( I'm on a wide screen resolution, 1366 x 768 to be exact ), but the opening window was shoved to the left and up ending up partly off the screen.  Far over enough so at the main menu I couldn't read the options.  Second, I don't know if you just haven't implemented it yet, but the yes/no message would not respond to the mouse click nor would the game setup screen.  Third, when the game setup screen is up, you did not disable the main menu from receiving input.  I clicked to choose the Alliance and ended up on Exit when I pressed enter -_-

Also as a side note, from what I see of a full ( or not so full ) C# program, the syntax is more different from C and C++ than I thought.  I can make some sense of some of it, but I have absolutely no sense of up or down sifting through that code.  I will continue to take looks at the code and see if I can find jump start guides to C#.

Also another side note, XNA 4.0 is out now ( full release, not beta anymore ).  I know you opted out of the 3.5 distro to go for the smaller 3.0, but with Windows 7 and DirectX 11 making more use of .NET 4.0 in Windows applications, maybe it isn't too late to port over to version 4?

Sep 17, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Well as for the .NET distro, most everyone playing games will have it soon anyway if they buy a new game in the coming months.  So all the program would need is codes using it, not the distro itself.  Oh and another question, why is the gamesettings.xml in the Windows System folder?

And for the syntax, C# seems to be classes for everything where in C++ I can choose where and when to use a class.  Both are object oriented, C# just seems to have more rules to follow.  The more I look at it the more sense it makes so I should be up to speed soon.  Hopefully through the weekend? *fingers crossed*

Coordinator
Sep 17, 2010 at 4:25 PM
Yer it is very object oreintated but you can follow the flow when you know enough.

Gamesettings.xml should be in the base folder rather than windows/system. Unsure as to why that is.

Anyway bed time for me.

Take it easy

Aaron

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 11:33 PM, JanDeis <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Well as for the .NET distro, most everyone playing games will have it soon anyway if they buy a new game in the coming months.  So all the program would need is codes using it, not the distro itself.  Oh and another question, why is the gamesettings.xml in the Windows System folder?

And for the syntax, C# seems to be classes for everything where in C++ I can choose where and when to use a class.  Both are object oriented, C# just seems to have more rules to follow.  The more I look at it the more sense it makes so I should be up to speed soon.  Hopefully through the weekend? *fingers crossed*

Coordinator
Sep 19, 2010 at 10:04 AM
I had a look and I think I will move the code over to XNA4. Will take some work though as there are some breaking changes. Ive been waiting for you to come on Xfire but you havent vbeen around this weekend. Or at differing hours anyway

- aaron

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 12:25 AM, Aaron Mijatovic <mijatovic@iinet.net.au> wrote:
Yer it is very object oreintated but you can follow the flow when you know enough.

Gamesettings.xml should be in the base folder rather than windows/system. Unsure as to why that is.

Anyway bed time for me.

Take it easy

Aaron

Coordinator
Sep 19, 2010 at 3:26 PM
Ive started the conversion process. And I am not gonna lie. It doesn't look fun. However, I am commited so once its finished, it will be a requirement to code this in .NET 4.0 and XNA4 which requires VS2010.

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 6:03 PM, Aaron Mijatovic <mijatovic@iinet.net.au> wrote:
I had a look and I think I will move the code over to XNA4. Will take some work though as there are some breaking changes. Ive been waiting for you to come on Xfire but you havent vbeen around this weekend. Or at differing hours anyway

- aaron

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 12:25 AM, Aaron Mijatovic <mijatovic@iinet.net.au> wrote:

Anyway bed time for me.

Take it easy

Aaron